With courtroom successes for public companies, regional businesses, news outlets, and individuals, Sig is a trial lawyer with more than twenty-five years of hearings to his credit, including jury trials in state and federal court, multi-week complex arbitrations, and high-stakes administrative hearings. In a complex business case, Sig won a $13.6 million jury verdict in Maine state court. He has been counsel of record in many state and federal reported judicial decisions, including more than thirty state and federal appeals.
Sig's courtroom experience includes a range of complex state and federal litigation and appeals, including commercial litigation, owner/shareholder disputes, product liability claims, construction litigation, civil rights and constitutional litigation, professional liability disputes, government contracts appeals, and unfair trade practices.
In his media law practice, Sig represents the news media in First Amendment matters, defamation and privacy, state and federal freedom of information, newsgathering, and cyber law. He has also served as counsel in copyright, trademark, and advertising disputes.
Sig's environmental law practice includes toxic torts litigation, state and federal environmental enforcement defense, environmental damage and remediation claims, defense of natural resource damage claims, and land use litigation and appeals.
Active in securities disputes, Sig handles claims involving broker-dealers, securities fraud, and investment malpractice. He has participated as counsel in numerous Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) arbitrations and in securities litigation in state and federal court. He is also a rostered American Arbitration Association (AAA) commercial arbitrator.
- American Bar Association
- Maine State Bar Association
- New Hampshire Bar Association
- Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association
- American Arbitration Association, National Roster of Commercial Arbitrators
- Media Law Resource Center, Defense Counsel Section
Honors & Recognition
- AV Preeminent® rating by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Listed in Commercial Litigation
- Best Lawyers in America®, Litigation - First Amendment Law, Litigation - Environmental, Litigation - Securities, Appellate Practice, Commercial Litigation
- 2019 Lawyer of the Year, Appellate Practice (Portland, ME)
- New England Super Lawyers, Listed
- Benchmark Litigation, Local Litigation Star
- Maine Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
Civic and Charitable Activities
- Board of Directors, Portland Ovations (2008 - 2022); Board Chair (2017-2020)
- Board of Directors, New England First Amendment Coalition (2008-Present)
- Clerk and Board of Directors, Maine Freedom of Information Coalition (2003-Present)
- Clerk and Member, Environmental Technology Council of Maine (2006 - Present)
- Board of Trustees, North Yarmouth Academy (2018-Present)
- Former Board Chair, American Red Cross of Southern Maine (2004-2006)