With courtroom successes for public companies, regional businesses, insurers, and entrepreneurs, Sig is a trial lawyer with more than twenty years of hearings to his credit, including jury trials in state and federal court, multi-week complex arbitrations, and high-stakes administrative hearings. In 2016, Sig won a $13.6 million jury verdict in a complex business case. He has been counsel of record in many state and federal reported judicial decisions, including more than thirty appeals.
Sig's environmental law practice includes toxic torts litigation, state and federal environmental enforcement defense, environmental damage and remediation claims, defense of natural resource damage claims, and land use litigation and appeals.
Active in securities disputes, Sig handles claims involving broker-dealers, securities fraud, and investment malpractice. He has participated as counsel in numerous Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) arbitrations and in securities litigation in state and federal court.
In his media law practice, Sig represents the news media in First Amendment matters, defamation and privacy, state and federal freedom of information, newsgathering and cyber law. He has also served as counsel in copyright, trademark, and advertising matters.
Sig's experience also includes a range of complex state and federal litigation and appeals, including product liability claims, construction litigation, commercial litigation and arbitration, civil rights and constitutional litigation, professional liability disputes, and unfair trade practices, owner and shareholder disputes, and administrative claims.
- American Bar Association
- Maine State Bar Association
- New Hampshire Bar Association
- Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association
- American Arbitration Association, National Roster of Commercial Arbitrators
- Media Law Resource Center, Defense Counsel Section
Honors & Recognition
- AV Preeminent® rating by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Listed in Commercial Litigation
- Best Lawyers in America®, Litigation - First Amendment Law, Litigation - Environmental, Litigation - Securities, Appellate Practice, Commercial Litigation
- 2019 Lawyer of the Year, Appellate Practice (Portland, ME)
- New England Super Lawyers, Listed
- Benchmark Litigation, Local Litigation Star
- Maine Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
Civic and Charitable Activities
- Board of Directors, Portland Ovations (2008 - 2022); Board Chair (2017-2020)
- Board of Directors, New England First Amendment Coalition (2008-Present)
- Clerk and Board of Directors, Maine Freedom of Information Coalition (2003-Present)
- Clerk and Member, Environmental Technology Council of Maine (2006 - Present)
- Board of Trustees, North Yarmouth Academy (2018-Present)
- Former Board Chair, American Red Cross of Southern Maine (2004-2006)