Sigmund D. Schutz
|Practice Focus: ||Environmental, Litigation, Media Law|
Portland, ME |
|vCard:||Download Sigmund's vCard|
With courtroom successes for Fortune 500 companies, regional businesses, insurers, and entrepreneurs, Sigmund D. Schutz is a trial lawyer with many contested hearings to his credit, including jury and bench trials in state and federal court, multi-week complex arbitrations, and high-stakes administrative hearings. Sig has been counsel of record in many state and federal reported judicial decisions, including more than fifteen appeals in the Maine Supreme Judicial Court.
Sig's environmental law practice includes toxic torts litigation, state and federal environmental enforcement defense, environmental damage and mold claims, defense of natural resource damage claims, and zoning and land use litigation and appeals.
Active in securities disputes, Sig handles claims involving broker-dealers, securities fraud, and investment malpractice. He has participated as counsel in numerous Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) arbitrations and in securities litigation in state in federal court.
In his media law practice, Sig represents the news media in First Amendment matters, defamation and privacy, state and federal freedom of information, and newsgathering. He has also served as counsel in Lanham Act and advertising matters.
Sig handles a range of complex state and federal litigation and appeals, including major trust and estate disputes, product liability claims, construction litigation and arbitration, civil rights and constitutional litigation, professional liability claims, and unfair trade practices and administrative matters.
- American Bar Association
- Maine State Bar Association
- New Hampshire Bar Association
- Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association
- Board of Directors, Portland Ovations (2008 - Present)
- Board of Directors, New England First Amendment Coalition (2008-Present)
- Clerk and Board of Directors, Maine Freedom of Information Coalition (2003-Present)
- Clerk and Member, Environmental Technology Council of Maine (2006 - Present)
- Member, Online Media Law Network (2009-Present)
- Former Board Chair, American Red Cross of Southern Maine (2004-2006)
- AV Preeminent™ rating by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, General Commercial Litigation
- Chambers USA (2014) reports that "Schutz is described by interviewees as 'an outstanding, top attorney.'"
- Best Lawyers in America®, First Amendment Law and Environmental Litigation
- New England Super Lawyers
- Benchmark Litigation, Future Star
- Maine Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- Sigmund D. Schutz and Benjamin S. Piper, Maine Privacy Law in MEDIA PRIVACY AND RELATED LAW (Media Law Resource Center) (annually, 2012 – Present).
- Jonathan S. Piper & Sigmund D. Schutz, Maine Libel Law, in MEDIA LIBEL LAW, (Media Law Resource Center) (annually, 1998 – Present).
- Jonathan S. Piper & Sigmund D. Schutz, Maine in OPEN GOVERNMENT GUIDE (Reporters Committee for the Freedom of the Press) (5th ed. 2006, 6th ed. 2011).
- Jonathan S. Piper & Sigmund D. Schutz, Maine in REPORTERS PRIVILEGE COMPENDIUM (Reporters Committee for the Freedom of the Press) (2007 and 2008 update).
- Sigmund D. Schutz, Public Access to Judicial Proceedings in Maine: Worth Protecting, 27 Me.B.J. 198 (2012).
- Daniel Rapaport, Kurt Olafsen, Sigmund D. Schutz, & Jonathan Mermin, Tort Killer: Applying the Economic Loss Doctrine to Service Contracts, 20 Me.B.J. 100 (2005).
- Sigmund D. Schutz, Time to Reconsider Nullum Tempus Occurrit Regi – The Applicability of Statutes of Limitations Against the State of Maine in Civil Actions, 55 ME.L.REV. 373 (2003).
- Sigmund D. Schutz, Freedom of Access Law: It's Not Easy Keeping Secrets, 14 Me.B.J. 138 (1999).
- Defended medical device company in four-week RCRA Citizen Suit trial in federal court.
- Defended $250 million clean-up order at nine-day hearing before Maine Board of Environmental Protection.
- Defended largest recent Maine Department of Environmental Protection petroleum enforcement action.
- Defended largest U.S. EPA pesticide enforcement action in Region I.
- Resolved property damage claims for residential and commercial landowners located on former municipal landfill.
- Resolved property damage lawsuit by lakefront property owners arising from No. 6 fuel oil spill.
- Defended environmental consultants in $1 million federal court jury trial against manufacturing company claim of faulty environmental site assessment.
- Defended environmental engineers in three-week New Hampshire arbitration in $15 million negligent water treatment system claim.
- Defended Fortune 500 company in multi-plaintiff toxic tort lawsuit involving alleged brain cancer cluster.
- Successful U.S. EPA sole source aquifer petition under the Safe Drinking Water Act, Conanicut Island, Rhode Island.
- Successful license transfer for 99MW wind power project in New Hampshire.
- Successful air emission license amendment for Maine paper mill.
Financial and General Litigation
- Won $40 million securities arbitration in Washington, D.C. on behalf of publicly traded company in connection with stock purchase of Maryland manufacturer.
- Won $419,000 securities arbitration in Boston against Morgan Stanley.
- Won appeal of award of $50 million contract for wireless emergency communication service.
- Represent beneficiaries, executors, personal representatives in securities and probate litigation and arbitration related to mishandling of assets, securities fraud, fiduciary mismanagement, and related matters.
- Represent owners and contractors in construction defect claims.
- Won appeal of award of $35 million contract for state-wide lottery services.
- Won news media First Amendment challenge to secret jury selection in high profile criminal case.
- Won federal summary judgment in favor of eight news media organizations against claims of libel, invasion of privacy, and civil rights violations arising from reporting on alleged unlawful firearms confiscation.
- Won trials and appeals permitting access to state and federal public records for news media.
- Pre-publication review of news articles, features, and broadcasts for news media.
- Won dismissal of defamation claims against New York Times reporter.
Trusts & Estates Bio
Climate Strategy Bio