Mike's development-related experience includes the following representations:
- Calais LNG - obtained all of the necessary local land permits to construct a $900 million dollar state-of-the-art liquefied natural gas (LNG) terminal and storage facility in Calais, Maine. Mike worked with the client, the city, the Department of Environmental Protection and the State Planning Office to create a new Maritime Industrial Zone encompassing 2800 feet of shoreline that suited the needs of the facility and the surrounding community.
- Saco Island - When Preti Flaherty represented the buyer in the purchase and $100 million redevelopment of Saco Island, Mike took the lead on all real estate title and land use permitting matters, including being the principal architect of numerous agreements with Central Maine Power, Florida Power and Light, Island Terrace Association and the City of Saco, Maine.
Mike has also represented clients in connection with numerous purchases and sales of commercial, industrial and timberland properties, including:
- Pleasant River Lumber - in the purchase of the former Cold Stream Lumber and the Crobb Box Company.
- EJ Carrier, Inc. - in the purchase of Beattie & Gorham Gores.
- Prentiss & Carlise Management Co., Inc. - in the auction and sales of acreage in Downeast Maine.
- International Paper - in the sale of 1.1 million acres of Maine and New Hampshire timberland.
- New Page - in the sale of hydroelectric assets. Mike was responsible for negotiating and drafting water rights agreements and preparing the $78 million title policy. The electrical generating facility and adjacent paper mill had been operated as an integrated operation, requiring intricate real estate structuring, including shared water rights and cross-easements. The matter also involved complex contractual arrangements for the sharing of key infrastructure components during a post-sale transition period.
- Brookfield Asset Management - in the sale of the Millinocket and East Millinocket pulp and paper mills, landfill, and related infrastructure.
- Georgia-Pacific - the purchase of the former Georgia-Pacific pulp and tissue mill in Old Town, Maine and three chip mills in Costigan, Houlton and Milo, Maine.
- Graftech - in the acquisition of manufacturing facilities in Biddeford and Houlton, Maine.
- SCS Family Realty - in the disposition of certain assets in Portland, Maine and corporate restructuring.
- Bermvet Associates - in the liquidation of Maine real estate.
Mike's business assistance and development experience includes:
- Tax Increment Financing (TIF), Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) and Industrial Rail Access Program (IRAP) for Pleasant River Lumber.
- TIF, CDBG and Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (REGGI) for Old Town Canoe.
- CDBG and REGGI for Moose River Lumber.
Mike's counsel to businesses and individuals includes:
- Negotiation with LURC to settle longstanding illegal subdivision.
- Successfully represented party to partition action resulting in division of non-conforming lot.
- Each Legislative session, Mike represents a number of forest product companies before the Legislature on such issues ranging from Bonded Labor to LURC reform.
- Served as lead counsel for four Maine and New Hampshire sawmills in their recovery from insolvent debtor.