Our timberlands are rightly considered one of the region’s most important resources. In Maine, forests cover 89 percent of the state and contribute approximately $8.5 billion to the economy annually. Preti Flaherty has built a reputation successfully representing paper mills, saw mills, lumber companies, land management companies and industrial land owners with legal issues that are unique to the region we call home and its forest products and timberlands industries.
Leaders in Land Use
Our forest products attorneys orchestrate complex forest products and timberlands transactions and help clients secure state and federal funding. Our clients turn to us for assistance navigating a variety of issues, including:
- Forest products and timberlands transactions including operating agreements, wood supply agreements and underwriting of timberland titles
- Acquisitions or dispositions of mills and processing facilities, as well as timberlands in the U.S. and Canada.
- Permitting of pulp and paper mills and associated energy assets as well as assistance in navigating state, regional and federal regulatory systems
- Environmental permits related to air and water emissions, solid and hazardous waste issues and site law
- Management of client energy needs and opportunities, including connecting clients with grants and incentive funding for energy projects
- Immigration applications and appeals, Canadian work visas, H2A/H2B issues
- Securing of financing, representation of borrowers in lending transactions, and assistance with bankruptcy and collection matters
- Legislative and agency lobbying, campaign and strategic government relations management
Standing Side by Side in Growth
Despite the recent closure of several paper mills, the forest products industry is expanding – investments are being made in facilities, the housing market is growing, and lawmakers and large landowners are working with the industry to ensure its continued growth. At a time that is ripe with possibility, our forest products attorneys serve as a strategic partner ready to leverage opportunity and propel growth. One recent example includes working with a locally owned lumber mill and assisting with securing grants to both develop a highly-efficient, cost-cutting biomass-fueled cogeneration plant and begin a $20 million facilities expansion. We also recently assisted a paper company client in successfully overcoming the challenges of acquisition, permitting and start-up of an idled paper mill in Maine.
From mill or timberland sales and acquisitions to energy or permitting issues, Preti Flaherty attorneys fully understand the current trends in the forest products industry and work together to provide legal services reflecting that which makes this industry, these natural resources, and this region, so unique.