Sara practices with the firm's Business Law practice group, focusing primarily on business transactions, including entity formations, mergers and acquisitions, trademark registrations, finance, corporate governance, securities law, and general commercial law and contract issues. She represents individuals, privately held businesses and exempt organizations across a diverse array of industries, including oil and gas, energy efficiency, medical devices, heavy equipment and auto sales and leasing, banking and financial services, craft brewing, nonprofit, and manufacturing.
In addition to traditional business and contracts matters, Sara regularly advises clients with respect to regulatory and compliance matters in the areas of energy, banking, and consumer protection. She also has extensive experience counseling financial institutions in connection with secured and unsecured lending.
Prior to joining Preti Flaherty, Sara practiced at a law firm in Maine for nine years.
Sara lives in Portland with her family.
- University of Maine School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2008)
- Research Editor, Maine Law Review
- 2007 Shur-Frinsko Award for Academic Excellence in Municipal Law & Local Governance
- Loyola University New Orleans (B.A., magna cum laude)
- Phi Alpha Theta, National Collegiate Historical Honor Society
- Maine State Bar Association
- Cumberland County Bar Association, Past President
- American Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyers New England Rising Star for six consecutive years
- SCORE Portland Chapter, Resource Mentor
- Cumberland County Fund, Maine Community Foundation, Chair
- The Maine Women’s Conference, Inc., Board Member and General Counsel
- City of Portland Zoning Board of Appeals, Past Member and Chair
- Represented stockholders of a regional, heavy equipment sales and leasing company in connection with the sale of the company to a publicly traded Canadian competitor
- Represented a regional agricultural lending institution with respect to all aspects of asset-based and real estate lending
- Assisted a privately held energy company with due diligence in connection with the acquisition of petroleum products storage and transportation assets in Maine
- Represented a purchaser with the acquisition of an auto sales lot in Massachusetts
- Assisted the restructuring of a Maine dairy products company
- Represented a purchaser in the potential acquisition and financing of an industrial recycling business in Scarborough, Maine
- Represented a Bangor-based trucking company regarding the stock sale of the company, tax minimization strategies, and the change of the owners’ legal residence from Maine to Florida
- Assisted in the drafting and negotiating of a tax-free merger under Section 368 of the IRS Code to allow the client, a Maine medical device company, to acquire one of its competitors as a wholly owned subsidiary
- Assisted in forming a nonprofit educational corporation in Maine, including preparing an IRS 1023 application for recognition of tax exemption and providing legal advice to the board of directors
- Conducted a legal audit of existing contract documentation for a large Maine nonprofit corporation, helping to identify legal risk issues and developing an implementation plan to update form agreements
- Represented mark owners with respect to state and federal trademark clearance searches and registrations
- Counseled a sales-focused company with employees and operations located in several states with regard to analysis of foreign qualification requirements
- Represented a quasi-municipal entity with respect to various contract matters and before the state regulatory agency