The one constant in the healthcare industry is change. Providers strive in the face of perpetual transition to provide reliable and effective care to the people they serve. Clients look to Preti Flaherty’s Health Law practitioners for counsel and advocacy because we are one of the most influential health law teams in Northern New England and have been the recognized industry leader in Maine health care matters for decades. In this vital and ever-evolving field, our team is an essential and effective resource to institutions that provide services that people depend on most.
Essential Services, Unparalleled Skill
Our Health Law attorneys represent the full range of healthcare providers, including hospitals, nursing homes, home health agencies, rehabilitation centers, and other health care facilities, as well as insurers and individual practitioners. We have earned their trust because we consistently provide high-quality services on complex issues, including:
- Advocacy related to legislative initiatives and health policy reforms, including cost containment, MaineCare funding, Obamacare health insurance exchanges, and access issues
- State and federal program integrity and enforcement investigations, including audit, recoupment, and sanction issues
- Obtaining Certificate of Need (CON) approvals for institutions facing increasingly complex regulatory issues
- Resolving negligence and malpractice claims, medical staff disputes, and complaints of employment discrimination directed against hospitals, nursing facilities, and other providers
- MaineCare Reimbursement and rate-setting
- State government procurement and contract issues
- State and federal regulations relating to patient privacy and the Maine Health Security Act
Our confidence in our abilities is supported by a track record of success and bolstered by consistent recognition for our work. John Doyle has argued health-related matters before the Maine Supreme Court and the First Circuit Court of Appeals, was the founding chair of the Health Law Section of the Maine State Bar Association, and has been listed in Best Lawyers since its initial ranking of health law in 1992, including selection as Portland’s “Lawyer of the Year” in his field for 2013. Backed by the power of Preti Flaherty’s comprehensive array of practice groups, we are the unquestioned authority on emerging healthcare issues and their legal ramifications.
Effective Counsel, Unrivaled Influence
As advisors to the Maine Health Care Association and its member long term care providers, we work hard to adjust regulations and advance laws and interpretations in support of our clients' interests. For Northern Light Health we provide legal counsel regarding medical negligence issues for several of its member hospitals across a statewide integrated health system. For First Atlantic Healthcare, and its seventeen skilled nursing and assisted living facilities throughout Maine, we provided comprehensive legal services, addressing corporate, regulatory and compliance issues.
Over the past four decades, Preti Flaherty’s Health Law practice group has been a respected and continuing force in the development of health-related matters and policy in Maine and Northern New England, identifying and resolving critical matters for the people and institutions we serve. We have been an integral voice in defining the present and continue to advocate for our clients with the innovative strategies and forward thinking that is our trademark as we shape the future.