Recognizing the importance of broadband service and the availability of new funding sources, Preti Flaherty has formed a municipal broadband practice group. It is a collaborative effort of our Municipal Law and Finance, Energy and Telecommunications, and Business Law Groups. This multidisciplinary practice is the result of decades of experience working with municipalities and leading the negotiation and management of some of the region’s most significant public utility and broadband infrastructure agreements. Preti Flaherty’s attorneys have direct experience establishing and funding local broadband projects in Maine and are well-known for the successful representation of municipal and county governments, publicly owned utilities, school districts, and other public entities across New England. Combining extensive municipal, telecommunications and business law experience with deep knowledge of communications businesses and technologies, we help clients simplify and streamline the complex planning and implementation of major telecommunications projects.
Our municipal broadband capabilities and experience include:
- Interlocal agreements and utility district formation
- Public-private broadband partnerships
- Public rights of way for communications infrastructure
- Infrastructure siting, acquisition, and leasing
- Wired and wireless communications and broadband infrastructure
- State and local regulatory compliance issues
- Local, state, and federal broadband policy
- Federal and state licensing and compliance
- Telecommunications service negotiations and contracting assistance
- Environmental, permitting, zoning, and land use issues
- Broadband and telecommunications advocacy
A Reliable Network
Preti Flaherty attorneys have been trusted names in municipal, telecommunications and business law for decades. Central to our success is our depth of experience and nuanced understanding of the complex government and technological landscape. From traditional matters like administrative hearings and enforcement proceedings to cutting-edge issues across the rapidly evolving IT-communications-media spectrum, we provide clients with clear insight and guidance to help them overcome broadband barriers, make critical infrastructure decisions, and establish state-of-the-art communications systems.