Eric is a Director of the firm and chair of the Intellectual Property Practice Group in the firm’s Boston office. He represents copyright, trademark, and patent owners and users in traditional and emerging industries. His clients include software and video game companies; music, motion picture, and television companies; book publishers; composers and authors; advertising agencies; and clothing designers.
An experienced trial lawyer, Eric litigates cases in courts across the country on issues of concern to intellectual property owners and users, including cases concerning trademark and trade dress infringement; international and domestic copyright infringement; patent and design patent infringement; trade secret disputes; breaches of licensing and entertainment industry contracts; counterfeiting; and false advertising. His commercial litigation experience includes representing businesses in contract disputes and representing vendors and purchasers in cases involving failed computer systems.
Eric began his career in New York 30 years ago, practicing at a boutique IP firm alongside his father, with whom he coauthored the copyright treatise Substantial Similarity in Copyright Law. He went on to practice at two large firms. He joined Preti Flaherty after running his own IP boutique in Boston and Stamford, Connecticut.
- Copyright Society of the U.S.A., Website and Media Library Committee
- International Trademark Association
- Copyright Committee, 2022-Present
- Leadership Development Committee, 2020-2021
- Lefkowitz Moot Court Committee Brief Judge, 2011-2012
- Courts & Tribunals Subcommittee, 2008-2009
- Anti-Counterfeiting and Enforcement North America Subcommittee, 2006-2007
- AIPLA Quarterly Journal, Editorial Board 2012-2014
Civic and Charitable Activities
- Boston Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts, 2015-Present
- Northwestern University Alumni Admission Council, 2006-Present
- Town of Wilton, Connecticut
- Water Pollution Control Authority, 2013-2014
- Planning and Zoning Commission, 2007-2010
- Committee on Elderly Tax Relief, 2007
Honors & Recognition
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Rating
- Emory Law Journal, Top Lawyer for 2010, Fairfield County, Litigation and Intellectual Property
Eric’s speaking engagements include appearances before the USPTO Global Intellectual Property Academy, The Copyright Society of the U.S.A., The Copyright Society of the South, the Licensing Executives Society, the Boston Patent Law Association, the Westchester/Southern Connecticut Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel, the New York State Bar Association, and the Fairfield County Bar Association.