Gregory P. Hansel
|Practice Focus: ||Litigation, Antitrust and Competition Law, International, Business Law, Securities|
Portland, ME |
|vCard:||Download Gregory's vCard|
Greg Hansel is recognized nationally as a trial lawyer in complex business litigation.
He has won victories for defendants and plaintiffs in some of Maine's largest cases and maintains a national and international litigation practice. He frequently advises overseas clients on U.S. legal matters. He is listed in Woodward/White's The Best Lawyers in America. In recent cases, he won a $19 million jury verdict as lead trial counsel in Missouri federal court in an international contract dispute; recovered $32 million for a class of oil companies in federal antitrust litigation in Miami; and brought an antiterrorism case on behalf of American missionaries murdered in Colombia. He has argued five times before the U.S. Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation.
Greg is experienced in class actions, antitrust & trade regulation, international, securities, construction, corporate, intellectual property, products liability, mass torts, contract, fraud, healthcare, RICO, employment, real estate, land use, technology, lender liability, professional malpractice, personal injury, wrongful death, fidelity & surety, insurance, arbitration and mediation.
- Member, American Bar Association's Antitrust Law Section and Committee on Class Actions
- Participant, Gubernatorial Trade Mission to South Korea
- Member, Maine Trial Lawyers Association
- Served as Chairman of The Florida Bar Convention
- Former Member, Florida Bar Grievance Committee
- AV Preeminent™ rating by the Martindale-Hubbell® Law Directory
- Listed in the Woodward/White's The Best Lawyers in America for Commercial Litigation, Litigation - Antitrust, Litigation - Securities, Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants and Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Plaintiffs
- Recognized for Commercial Litigation in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, which stated "Greg Hansel stands out for his prowess in relation to complex business litigation work. One interviewee also heralded him as 'a master of class action litigation.'"
- Selected as a New England Super Lawyer in Business Litigation, Antitrust Litigation and Class Action/Mass Torts
- Named a Maine Litigation Star in Benchmark: Litigation, the Guide to America's Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys
- Board Certified in Antitrust and Trade Regulation Law by The Florida Bar
- Board Certified in Business Litigation by The Florida Bar
- Served as Chairman, Board of Directors, Community Financial Literacy
- President, Harvard Club in Maine
- Regional Vice-Chair, and Member, Board of Trustees, Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, Washington, D.C.
- Chairman, Annual Giving in Northern New England for the University of Virginia School of Law
- Member, Maine International Trade Center
- Portland Rotary Club
- Served on Executive Committee, Appalachian Mountain Club, Maine Chapter
- Acted as pro bono attorney, Maine Equal Justice Partners
Publications and Lectures
- "Extreme Litigation: An Interview with Judge Wm. Terrell Hodges, Chairman of the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation", Maine Bar Journal
- Speaker, "Private Damages Actions: An International Perspective," ABA Section of Antitrust Law Spring Meeting
- "Antitrust Class Certification After Hydrogen Peroxide" ABA Section of Antitrust Law Spring Meeting
- "Dispute Resolution," author of Maine Chapter in international legal guide for corporate counsel, Getting the Deal Through, Law Business Research Ltd.
- Speaker, "Betting-the-Company, How to Avoid and Survive High Stakes U.S. Litigation," Korea In-House Counsel Forum, program co-sponsored by U.S. Embassy, Seoul
- Speaker, "Hot Topics in Class Actions," Annual Meeting of Maine State Bar Association
- "Limiting Shareholder Class Actions: The Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995," The Florida Bar Journal
- "Strong Suit: A Primer on Class Actions," Mainebiz
- Won a $19 million jury verdict in international contract dispute. Semi-Materials, Ltd. v MEMC Electronic Materials, Inc. (E.D.Mo.)
- Defending Maine's largest private employer, Bath Iron Works division of General Dynamics, defeated class certification in federal claim of former employees.
- Won a $40 million international arbitration award in securities fraud case tried for three weeks in Washington, D.C. on behalf of Kingspan Group PLC.
- Recovered a $143 million settlement in Compact Disc Minimum Advertised Price Antitrust Litigation, MDL No. 1361 (D. Maine), as Court-appointed liaison counsel.
- Recovered $18.5 million as co-lead counsel for ready-mix concrete purchasers in Iowa Ready-Mix Concrete Antitrust Litigation (N.D. Iowa).
- Lead trial counsel in a $1 million jury verdict for punitive damages, one of the largest in Maine history, in landlord/tenant litigation. Harris v. Soley, 756 A.2d 499 (Me.)
- As Court-appointed co-lead counsel in Marine Hose Antitrust Litigation, MDL No. 1888 (S.D. Fla.), recovered $32 million for class of purchasers.