Greg is chair of the firm’s Antitrust & Competition practice group and a nationally recognized trial lawyer in complex business litigation.
He has won victories for defendants and plaintiffs in some of Maine's largest cases and maintains a national and international litigation practice. He frequently advises overseas clients on U.S. legal matters. He is listed in Woodward/White's The Best Lawyers in America, which named him 2017 and 2015 "Lawyer of the Year" for Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions - Defendants. He currently serves as court-appointed co-lead counsel for direct purchasers in In re Automotive Parts Antitrust Litigation, a series of private civil actions, with more than $200 million in partial settlements to date, that stem from the largest Department of Justice criminal antitrust investigation in U.S. history.
In other recent cases, he won a $19 million jury verdict as lead trial counsel in Missouri federal court in an international contract dispute, recognized in the National Law Journal as one of Top 100 Verdicts of the year; recovered $32 million for a class of direct purchasers of marine hose in federal antitrust litigation in Miami; and brought an antiterrorism case on behalf of American missionaries murdered in Colombia. He has argued five times before the U.S. Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation.
Greg is experienced in class actions, antitrust & trade regulation, international, securities, construction, corporate, intellectual property, products liability, mass torts, contract, fraud, healthcare, RICO, employment, real estate, land use, technology, lender liability, professional malpractice, personal injury, wrongful death, fidelity & surety, insurance, arbitration and mediation.
- Vice Chair, American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law Global Private Litigation Committee
Member, The Florida Bar, Antitrust & Trade Regulation Law Certification Committee
Participant, Gubernatorial Trade Mission to South Korea
- Served as Chairman of The Florida Bar Convention
- Former Member, Florida Bar Grievance Committee
Honors & Recognition
- AV Preeminent™ rating by the Martindale-Hubbell® Law Directory
- Listed in the Woodward/White's The Best Lawyers in America for Commercial Litigation, Litigation - Securities, Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants and Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Plaintiffs
- Recognized for Commercial Litigation in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, which stated "Greg Hansel stands out for his prowess in relation to complex business litigation work. One interviewee also heralded him as 'a master of class action litigation.'"
- Selected as a New England Super Lawyer in Antitrust Litigation, Business Litigation and Class Action/Mass Torts
- Named a Litigation Star in Benchmark: Litigation, the Guide to America's Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys
- Board Certified in Antitrust and Trade Regulation Law by The Florida Bar
- Board Certified in Business Litigation by The Florida Bar
Civic and Charitable Activities
- Past Chairman of the Board and current Board Member, Community Financial Literacy
- Regional Vice-Chair, and Member, Board of Directors, Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, Washington, D.C.
- Chairman, Annual Giving in Northern New England for the University of Virginia School of Law
- Member, Harvard Alumni Association Board of Directors
- Regional Director, Harvard Clubs in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and North/Central Massachusetts
- Past President, Harvard Clubs in Maine and Tampa Bay (formerly West Coast Florida)
- Member, Maine International Trade Center
- Portland Rotary Club
- Served on Executive Committee, Appalachian Mountain Club, Maine Chapter
- Former Member, Board of Trustees, Portland Symphony Orchestra
- Acted as pro bono attorney, Maine Equal Justice Partners
- President, Cape Elizabeth Mock Trial Boosters
Publications and Presentations
- "Extreme Litigation: An Interview with Judge Wm. Terrell Hodges, Chairman of the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation", Maine Bar Journal
- Speaker, "Private Damages Actions: An International Perspective," ABA Section of Antitrust Law Spring Meeting
- "Antitrust Class Certification After Hydrogen Peroxide" ABA Section of Antitrust Law Spring Meeting
- "Dispute Resolution," author of Maine Chapter in international legal guide for corporate counsel, Getting the Deal Through, Law Business Research Ltd.
- Speaker, "Betting-the-Company, How to Avoid and Survive High Stakes U.S. Litigation," Korea In-House Counsel Forum, program co-sponsored by U.S. Embassy, Seoul
- Speaker, "Hot Topics in Class Actions," Annual Meeting of Maine State Bar Association
- "Limiting Shareholder Class Actions: The Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995," The Florida Bar Journal
- "Strong Suit: A Primer on Class Actions," Mainebiz