- Steve has represented manufacturers, energy developers, telephone companies, and electric utilities on a broad range of legislative issues affecting their interests. Steve was a key player in the passage of Maine's newest comprehensive energy legislation (the Omnibus Energy Act of 2013), which addressed Maine's energy infrastructure, opened the door for a new request for proposal for ocean energy projects and completely restructured Maine's energy efficiency efforts. Over the last several years, Steve has repeatedly defended against repeal of Maine’s Renewable Portfolio Standard on behalf of Maine biomass generators. Steve led the effort to modernize the way water utilities are regulated in Maine, he helped to structure a key compromise that allowed passage of Maine’s Ocean Energy Act, and he was successful in obtaining key clarifying language for a client in the federal American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009.
- Steve assisted an innovative offshore wind power developer with preparation of a winning bid in response to a governmental RFP, was active in strategizing and building public support for his client’s project; and participated in the drafting and successful negotiation of a term sheet for the project with the governmental agency.
- Steve was a lead negotiator for Maine's business community on Maine's Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative original legislation and its recent renewal, working on innovative approaches to reducing the cost of compliance for this important piece of legislation.
- Steve managed corporate, technical, environmental, safety and health, and employee change issues for a large integrated pulp and paper mill. His activities included: obtaining environmental permits, developing and implementing a mill-wide crisis management plan, and handling media, advertising and public affairs for mill emergencies, news announcements and mill downsizing.
- Steve served as the chair of the pulp and paper industry's grass roots and lobbying efforts on the U.S. EPA's Cluster Rules for that industry, which proposed the most costly rules in EPA history for air and water emissions for a single industry sector. Steve's efforts helped lead to an improved rule that has been successfully implemented across the industry. Most recently, Steve has advised clients on compliance considerations under EPA’s proposed Clean Power Plan.