Our Transportation and Maritime Law Group assists clients from across the transportation sector with legal matters ranging from litigation to transactions to regulatory issues. Our work for clients has included extensive experience in motor transportation, aviation, rail and maritime transport and we regularly work on both interstate and international transport issues.
We understand that many of the key legal issues in this industry relate to urgent matters and our team is always ready to respond to an emergent client need. By working closely with our Litigation, Corporate, Environmental, Workers' Compensation and Employment Law groups, we offer our clients broad services and understand the legal issues that are unique to each segment of the transportation sector.
Our maritime attorneys serve American and global clients ranging from large shipbuilders such as Bath Iron Works Division of General Dynamics Corporation, to international shipping companies and vessel owners. Preti Flaherty also has a significant Longshore Act and Jones Act practice.
We assist clients in complying with the full scope of regulations that apply to the shipping industry, including work with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (including the Coast Guard, Customs and INS) and the Federal Maritime Commission.
Specific services that our maritime law attorneys provide:
- Defense of liability claims and lawsuits related to collisions, spills or personal injuries
- Longshoremen's and Harbor Workers' Compensation Act claims
- Federal Court admiralty litigation
- Ship mortgages and foreclosures, in rem actions, and arrests of vessels
- International trade and carriage of goods
- Purchase and sale of vessels, charter party agreements and other transactions
Other Transportation Industries
Our transportation attorneys represent a wide range of motor carriers, motor coach operators, airlines, freight facility operators and other interests in the transportation industry. We also have an extensive practice representing insurers specializing in this area and in defending claims. We regularly assist clients with issues before the courts and with regulation by the U.S. Department of Transportation, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and the Environmental Protection Agency.
Specific services we offer for clients include:
- Defense of personal injury lawsuits (particularly against trucking companies in matters involving FMCSA regulations)
- Insurance policy and coverage analysis and representation of insurance companies in defense of truck accident liability cases and cargo loss and damage lawsuits
- Defense of Fair Labor Standards Act lawsuits against interstate carriers
- Defense of transporters against claims of criminal violations
- Defense of U.S. Department of Transportation safety audits