Joe brings over three decades of experience in all facets of utility law, including seven years as General Counsel to the Maine Public Utilities Commission, to his work as a senior Partner of the firm's Energy and Telecommunications Group. Joe has developed the firm's strength in the area of telecommunications. He specializes in regulatory, transactional and business issues relating to public utilities, with a concentration in the area of telecommunications providers.
Joe represents small incumbent telephone utilities and competitive telecommunications providers, as well as energy and water utilities, in regulatory, legislative and business matters in a dynamic regulatory and business environment. As a practitioner of utility law, he has been involved in many public utility regulatory and policy matters affecting Maine citizens and businesses. He has successfully litigated numerous regulatory cases, from rate cases to restructurings, on behalf of public utilities, competitive providers and consumers.
Joe has spoken before the Maine State Bar Association, and at the annual conferences of the Telecommunications Association of Maine. In addition, He is the author of an article titled "An Argument for a Prudent Approach to Alternative Forms of Regulation," published in Maine Policy Review.
Joe served as law clerk to both the Honorable Charles A. Pomeroy and Honorable Edward S. Godfrey of the Supreme Judicial Court of Maine before working ten years as an attorney for the Maine Public Utilities Commission, the last seven as General Counsel. He joined Preti Flaherty in 1989.
- Boston University School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1977)
- Bowdoin College (A.B., magna cum laude, 1974)
- U.S. District Court, District of Maine
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Maine State Bar Association, Administrative Law Section
- Federal Communications Bar Association
- Telecommunication Association of Maine
- Maine Rural Water Association
Honors & Awards
- Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America
- Kennebec Land Trust
- Kennebec Historical Society
- Third Maine Volunteer Infantry Regiment