Joe brings three decades of experience in all facets of utility law, including seven years as General Counsel to the Maine Public Utilities Commission, to his work as a senior Partner of the firm's Energy and Telecommunications Group. Joe has developed the firm's strength in the area of telecommunications. He specializes in regulatory, transactional and business issues for both traditional telephone companies and emerging competitive telecommunications providers.
He represents Maine Independent Telephone Companies in regulatory and legislative matters and in dealing with the transition to a competitive environment. He served as regulatory counsel for the Telephone Association of Maine. As a practitioner of utility law, he has been involved in many significant telecommunications, energy, economic and environmental policy matters affecting Maine citizens and businesses. His successful litigation on behalf of clients such as the Industrial Energy Consumer Group (IECG) has resulted in substantial electric rate savings for member companies such as International Paper, Champion and Chinet.
Joe has spoken before the Maine State Bar Association, at the annual conferences of the Telecommunication Association of Maine and at annual IECG energy conferences. In addition, He is the author of an article titled "An Argument for a Prudent Approach to Alternative Forms of Regulation," published in the December 1993 issue of Maine Policy Review.
Joe served as law clerk to both the Honorable Charles A. Pomeroy and Honorable Edward S. Godfrey of the Supreme Judicial Court of Maine before working ten years as an attorney for the Maine Public Utilities Commission, the last seven as General Counsel. He joined Preti Flaherty in 1989, and has been a Partner of the firm since 1994.
- Boston University School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1977)
- Bowdoin College (A.B., magna cum laude, 1974)
- U.S. District Court, District of Maine
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Maine State Bar Association, Administrative Law Section
- Federal Communications Bar Association
- Telecommunication Association of Maine
- Maine Rural Water Association
Honors & Awards
- Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America
- Kennebec Land Trust
- Kennebec Historical Society
- Civil War Trust
- Stroudwater Light Infantry
- Third Maine Volunteer Infantry Regiment
- Fletcher's Scouting Company