Robert "Benji" Borowski is a member of the firm's Energy & Telecommunications, Cleantech and Renewable Energy Law, and Climate Strategy groups dedicated to helping clients achieve their legal, policy, and regulatory goals across those sectors. In his practice, he has worked with clients of all sizes and across a wide range of industries on a variety on energy issues. Benji has amassed state- and federal-level experience around the policies that drive regulations, the regulations that constrain markets, and markets within which stakeholders operate. His work has included advising private equity on the acquisition of industrial and electric generation assets, assisting large-scale consumers with financing for efficiency projects, and helping consumer-generator clients navigate the evolving energy markets through regulatory and policy advocacy.
Benji places particular emphasis on efficiency and renewable forms of energy: onshore and offshore wind, large- and small-scale hydro, marine hydrokinetic, biomass, and solar. His work in these fields includes legislative and administrative representation of solar power producers opposing an unfavorable rate design and assisting an innovative off-shore wind project receive regulatory approval. He has also assisted clients in certifying their energy projects as “renewable” under state renewable portfolio standards and advised them on maximizing the value of associated environmental attributes. In addition, Benji has been extensively involved in efforts to reduce energy costs across New England, especially through decreasing long-standing reliance on oil.
Benji is a graduate of Vermont Law School where he earned a J.D. with a Certificate in Energy Law, magna cum laude, and a M.S. of Environmental Law and Policy, magna cum laude. While in law school, he served as an articles editor and production coordinator of the Vermont Law Review. He earned various American Jurisprudence Awards, including in Torts, Environmental Issues in Business Transactions, and Climate Change and the Law.
- Energy & Telecommunications
- Cleantech & Renewable Energy
- Climate Strategy
- First Light
- Offshore & Onshore Wind Power
- Hamilton College (B.A., 2007)
- Vermont Law School (M.S., magna cum laude)
- Vermont Law School (J.D., magna cum laude, 2011)
- Vermont Law Review, articles editor
- Energy Certificate
Honors & Awards
- Listed as a Super Lawyers "New England Rising Star" in the areas of Energy & Natural Resources, Utilities, Mergers & Acquisitions
- Maine Development Foundation, Leadership Maine, Upsilon class graduate
- Susan L. Curtis Foundation, pro bono legal services and Trustee, Board Development Committee
- Lift 360, volunteer on sustainable energy issues
- Resources First Foundation, Fundraising Committee