Preti Flaherty's Construction Law Group represents clients at local, regional and national levels with the contracting and litigation aspects of construction projects, large and small. Since commercial projects are increasingly complex, our primary goal is to guide our clients throughout the various project phases to a successful completion, including support with insurance and lending requirements and planning, zoning and permitting issues.
However, when litigation is necessary, our team of litigators brings a wealth of experience in complex construction litigation to protect our clients' interests. We understand the dynamics of managing multiple parties and have successfully represented a wide variety of clients including contractors, construction managers, subcontractors, owners (including hospitals, municipalities, and universities), construction lenders, architects and engineers.
With more than 100 attorneys at Preti Flaherty and multiple practice groups, our Construction Law Group is able to engage and coordinate the expertise of other groups within the firm, such as taxation, bankruptcy, intellectual property, real estate transactions, governmental agency relations, labor and employment and beyond.
Several of the attorneys in the Preti Flaherty Construction Litigation Group worked in the construction industry before becoming practicing attorneys. One senior attorney is a licensed (though presently inactive) Professional Engineer who worked for a New York/Boston based civil consulting engineering firm (now, GZA Associates). Another senior attorney worked for a Manhattan-based construction management and cost estimating firm, focusing on public works projects. Our attorneys' business experience includes serving as chief engineer on projects in North and South America, Africa, and the Middle East, performing a construction suitability analysis for a pier in East Boston supported by wooden pilings, monitoring the installation (by both driving and vibration) of tens of thousands of feet of wood and steel piling, dealing with Boston Blue Clay, completing and analyzing the results of dozens of pile load tests, and assisting in countless construction estimates and takeoffs.
Our services include:
- Contract negotiation and drafting
- Contract and bid preparation
- Advice regarding project administration
- Provide counsel on lending and financing for construction projects
- Advice on land use, zoning and governmental development approvals
- Advice on LEED and green certification issues
- Construction contract review and arbitration clause design
- Construction dispute resolution
- Arbitrations, Mediations, Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR), Case Resolution
- Job close-outs and settlements
- Contract, delay and inefficiency grants
- Government contacts (bid protests and board of contract appeals claims)
- Mechanic's liens and security
- Defective design claims
- Bid protests