Rick practices with the firm's Business Law, Real Estate and Health Care Groups and is the former Chair of the Business Law Group. He handles all types of commercial transactions, with emphasis on buying and selling businesses, structuring business relationships, lending transactions, construction contracting and technology procurement.
Previous Legal Experience
After receiving his law degree from Yale Law School in 1972, Rick worked in the Maine Governor's Office as Federal State Coordinator, Maine Alternate to the New England Regional Commission and Special Assistant to Governor Kenneth M. Curtis. As the governor's aide, Rick had staff responsibilities for natural resources, energy, environmental protection, economic development and Native American affairs. He served as Development Officer and General Counsel to the Maine State Housing Authority from 1975 to 1977. In 1977, he became Administrative Assistant to Governor Curtis during the governor's term as chairman of the Democratic National Committee. A year later, he joined Preti Flaherty.
- Fellow, American College of Mortgage Attorneys
- Opinions Committee
- Legislative Committee
- Former State Chair for Maine
- Former Member of Board of Regents
- Maine Bar Foundation, Former Member of Board of Directors, President and Treasurer
- Maine Real Estate Development Association, Public Policy Committee
Honors & Recognition
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America
- Recognized by New England Super Lawyers
- Maine Real Estate Development Association, Legislative Committee
- Public Policy Advocacy Award, 1992
- Founder's Award, 2002
- Lectured on legal opinions in business transactions, eminent domain and health privacy matters
Civic and Charitable Activities
- Goodwill Industries of Northern New England, Inc.
- Quality Committee
- Former Member of Board of Directors, President and Treasurer
- Maine Historical Society, Member
- New England Historical and Genealogical Society, Member
- Ohio Genealogical Society, Member