Tom focuses on international corporate law (cross-border transactions, market entry, general corporate) and cross-border disputes (trans-jurisdictional litigation and international arbitration). He is the senior foreign attorney (Partner) at Barun Law in Seoul, Korea, where he is involved in a broad range of international corporate and advocacy matters, representing many of the world's largest companies, foreign governments and entrepreneurs.
Prior to joining Barun Law, Tom practiced law with Kim, Shin & Yu in Korea, Hogan & Hartson in Washington, D.C. and with Vinson & Elkins in Austin, Texas.
A Maine native, he was born in Portland and splits his time between Seoul, Maine and Hawaii.
Tom has written and spoken extensively on Asia-related business and legal matters.
- Panelist, Korean Commercial Arbitration Board
- Panelist, Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre
- Panelist, Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration Arbitrator
- World Intellectual Property Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
- Chairperson of the Panel of Experts of the Korea-European Union FreeTrade Agreement (Trade and Sustainable Development Chapter)
Honors & Recognition
- Recognized by Chambers for Business as a ranked lawyer 2010-2015
- Recognized by AsiaLaw as a "Leading Lawyer of 2016," in the areas of Corporate/M&A and Dispute Resolution & Litigation
- Listed in Chambers Global for his work in International Dispute Resolution
Civic and Charitable Activities
- Asia-Pacific Council of American Chambers of Commerce
- Chairman, 2001-2003
- Vice Chairman, 1998-2001; 2005-2011
- American Chamber of Commerce in Koreao
- Special Advisor to the Board, 2015-present
- Vice Chairman, 2011-2014
- Member, Board of Governors, 1991-1994; 1995-2007; 2009-2011
- Canadian Chamber of Commerce in Korea
- Member, Board of Governors, 2005-present
- Kiwi Chamber of Commerce in Korea
- Special Advisor, 2009-present
- Tom has written and spoken extensively on Asia-related business and legal matters.