John has an active litigation practice centered on creditors' rights, commercial disputes, landlord-tenant, intellectual property and bankruptcy matters. John has substantial expertise in turning a judgment into real money, and has brought numerous fraudulent transfer actions. He also has significant experience in hydroelectric facility permitting and water rights litigation, along with expertise in the interplay between environmental and bankruptcy law. He also provides preemptive advice to businesses seeking to avoid or minimize litigation.
John taught American literature at the University of Virginia for 10 years, prior to launching his legal career with Preti Flaherty in 1987. He resides in Portland, Maine.
- Maine State Bar Association
- Former Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
- National Business Institute, Inc.
- Former Member of seminar faculty, speaking annually on foreclosures and security interests
Honors & Recognition
- Recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America for his work in Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law
Civic and Charitable Activities
- Volunteer Lawyers Project
- Port Veritas, Board Member
- Former Volunteer Judge in the National Duberstein Bankruptcy Moot Court Competition
- Former Board Member, Coastal Conservation Association, Casco Bay Chapter