James is a member of Preti Flaherty’s Environmental and Litigation practice groups and practices from the firm’s Boston office. He counsels clients on a variety of complex issues related to environmental law, while focusing on environmental litigation. His background as an Honors Attorney for the Environmental Appeals Board (EAB) of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has provided him with significant experience researching and advising the EAB judges on some of the most cutting-edge and difficult environmental issues of the day.
James is a graduate of the University of Minnesota, where he completed a joint degree program, earning his J.D. from the University of Minnesota Law School as well as an M.P.H. from the School of Public Health. While in law school, he served as a graduate research assistant at the UMN Water Resources Center and Humphrey School of Public Affairs, James has also held internships at the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency; the U.S. EPA, Region VII; U.S. Department of Justice’s Environmental and Natural Resources Division; the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota; and the Minnesota Center for Environmental Advocacy. Before law school, he served as a research associate at the Natural Resources Defense Council.
James lives in Somerville, Massachusetts.
- University of Minnesota Law School (J.D., 2017)
- Minnesota Journal of Law, Science & Technology, Lead Managing Editor
- Environmental & Energy Law Society, President, Secretary
- Student Animal Legal Defense Fund at the University of Minnesota, Vice-President
- University of Minnesota School of Public Health (M.P.H., 2017)
- Environmental Health Sciences: Regulatory Toxicology & Risk Assessment
- Grinnell College (2010)
- Environmental Studies
- District of Columbia
Honors & Awards
- Charles Nauen & Pati Jo Pofahl Environmental & Energy Law Student Award, 2017
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Environment Section, Student Writing Competition Winner, 2017
- Bloomberg Law Write-On Competition Winner, 2016
- Washington Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs Workers’ Rights Clinic, Intake Volunteer, 2018–2019