Elizabeth A. Olivier has been with Preti Flaherty since 1987 and is currently the firm's General Counsel. She specializes in the areas of employment law and health law. Betty represents employers before state and federal administrative agencies, and in federal and state courts. She also regularly advises employers on various employment related issues, including compliance with federal and state anti-discrimination laws, compliance with wage and hour laws, employee leave issues under the FMLA, ADA and other state leave laws, contract issues, and issues involving employee discipline and/or termination.
Betty also works extensively with hospitals and other healthcare clients. She advises healthcare clients on employment-related issues including provider contracting and compensation, related healthcare statutory and regulatory restrictions, and the resolution of employment disputes. She also handles a variety of medical staff issues, and provides advice and representation on a wide range of statutory and regulatory compliance issues, privacy and confidentiality, risk management and liability.
Betty was born in Leominster, Massachusetts. She is a graduate of the University of Maine, where she received a degree in special education. After teaching school for a few years, Betty earned her law degree from Suffolk University Law School in Boston. She worked as a legal assistant in several Boston law firms while attending law school.
She resides in Cumberland with her husband, Roy, and her children, Meaghan and Matthew.
- Maine State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Society of Human Resources Managers
Honors & Recognition
- Recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business & Labor Law
- Recognized in Best Lawyers in America for Employment Law & Labor Law
- Named Best Lawyers 2015 'Lawyer of the Year' for Portland, Maine in Labor Law - Management
Civic and Charitable Activities
- Former Board Member (President), SMART Child & Family Services