Brian is a Director in Preti Flaherty's Litigation Group and focuses his practice on civil litigation, criminal defense, and regulatory matters for individuals and corporations. He co-chairs the firm's White-collar Defense Practice Group and is a member of the Securities Practice Group. His experience includes numerous high-profile trials and investigations, including several first-degree murder trials, defense of multi-national corporations in securities and health care fraud investigations, and other serious criminal and civil matters.
Prior to joining the firm, Brian served as a Senior Assistant Attorney General in the Homicide Unit and Criminal Justice Bureau of the New Hampshire Department of Justice where he led homicide prosecutions. While there, Brian also prosecuted white-collar crimes and public integrity matters, and represented the State of New Hampshire in civil matters in state and federal court. Before working for the New Hampshire Attorney General, Brian served as a judicial law clerk for the New Hampshire Superior Court for two years.
Brian has successfully briefed and argued numerous cases before the New Hampshire Supreme Court, and has taught Advanced Appellate Advocacy as an Adjunct Professor at the University of New Hampshire Law School, formerly known as Franklin Pierce Law Center.
Brian has served as Vice Chairman of the New Hampshire Legislative Ethics Committee, having been jointly appointed to the Committee by the New Hampshire Speaker of the House of Representatives, the House Minority Leader, the President of the New Hampshire Senate, and the Senate Minority Leader.
As part of Brian's criminal defense practice, he serves on the Federal Criminal Justice Act Panel in the United States District Court for New Hampshire. In 2014, Brian was appointed by the U.S. District Court for New Hampshire to serve as a member of the Criminal Justice Act Panel Selection Committee.
In 2015, Brian was recognized as the Top Criminal Defense Attorney in the state of New Hampshire by Business NH Magazine.
In 2018, Brian was selected by his peers for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America, and has been named in the 2019 Best Lawyers in America as the “Lawyer of the Year” for Criminal Defense: White Collar in the Concord region. Brian is also listed as a New England Super Lawyer for his work in white-collar criminal defense and securities litigation.
Brian was selected for inclusion in the 2019 Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in the area of White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations. Chambers rankings are the result of the accomplishment of an attorney’s work and the regard in which they are held by their peers and clients.
- Financial Industry Litigation & Arbitration
- White Collar Defense & Government Investigations
- New England School of Law (J.D., 1996)
- University of New Hampshire (B.S., 1989)
- New Hampshire
- U.S. District Court, District of New Hampshire
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- New Hampshire Bar Association
- Federal Criminal Justice Act Panel in the United States District Court for New Hampshire
- New Hampshire Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- New Hampshire Catholic Lawyers Guild, Co-founder
- New Hampshire Campaign for Legal Services, Member of the Leadership Council - The New Hampshire Campaign for Legal Services is a joint fundraising initiative supporting the Legal Advice & Referral Center and New Hampshire Legal Assistance. These civil legal aid programs provide legal help to those who otherwise cannot afford representation.
- New Hampshire Access to Justice Commission - Appointed by the New Hampshire Supreme Court in 2017 for a three-year term. The Commission seeks to expand and enhance access to justice in civil legal matters for New Hampshire residents by developing and implementing policy initiatives along with its partners in New Hampshire’s state and federal judiciary.
Honors & Awards
- Named Top Criminal Defense Attorney in New Hampshire by Business NH Magazine
- Listed as a New England Super Lawyer
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America
- 2019 Lawyer of the Year, Criminal Defense: White-Collar (Concord, NH)
- Included in the 2019 Chambers USA Guide to America's Leading Lawyers for Business in the area of White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations
- New Hampshire Attorney General's Task Force on Child Abuse and Neglect, member since 2004. The Task Force was created in 1989 to improve the system-wide response to child mistreatment in New Hampshire. It is comprised of professionals throughout the state representing the medical, mental health, judicial, prosecution, defense, law enforcement, victim advocacy, forensic science and child protection communities.
- Crisis Center of Central New Hampshire, board member since 2014. Serving Merrimack County, The Crisis Center seeks to empower individuals to make positive changes in their lives and works toward ending domestic and sexual violence in Merrimack County by providing services and shelter to victims/survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking, elder abuse, and child abuse.