Ben practices with the firm's Litigation and Environmental Practice Groups, where he represents clients from individuals to large public and private companies, in state and federal courts and arbitration. When the stakes are high, Ben’s clients trust his sound judgment and rigorous advocacy. Whether litigating a contentious and decades-long environmental case or moving fast to get in front of a client’s problem, Ben is relentless in understanding the business issues underlying the legal dispute. He has experience with a wide variety of complex litigation, including commercial disputes, environmental and professional liability, and intellectual property claims. Ben has particular focus on representing businesses in environmental cleanup litigation and representing the news media in First Amendment, defamation, privacy, and Freedom of Access/Freedom of Information matters.
Before joining Preti Flaherty, Ben served as law clerk to the Honorable John A. Woodcock, Jr. at the United States District Court, District of Maine. While in law school at the University of Wisconsin Law School, he served as Managing Editor of the Wisconsin International Law Journal.
Ben lives in Falmouth, Maine, with his wife and two sons.
Honors & Recognition
- Recognized in New England Super Lawyers as a "Rising Star," 2014 - 2020
- Benchmark Litigation "40 & Under List," 2022-Present
Civic and Charitable Activities
- Boys and Girls Club of Southern Maine
- Board of Directors
- Georgetown University
- Chairman of the Alumni Admission Program Committee for the State of Maine
- Dan Cardillo Charitable Fund
- Board of Directors and Scholarship Selection Committee
- Leadership Maine, Silver Class, Maine Development Foundation
- Fundraised, and rappelled down the side of Portland's largest building, in support of 2015 Rappel for Rippleffect campaign