Ria practices with Preti Flaherty's Business Law Group in the firm's Portland office, representing corporate clients, including private equity firms, venture capital funds, emerging businesses, and privately and publicly held companies in a wide variety of industries. She focuses her practice on transactional and corporate governance matters, business structuring, mergers and acquisitions, commercial agreements, securities law, transactional and international tax, and regulatory compliance. Her experience includes advising clients with holdings in the United States, Europe, Africa, Asia, and the Middle East.
A graduate of the University of Virginia School of Law and the University of Washington, Ria also studied international relations and economics at the University of St. Andrews in Scotland for three years. Between undergrad and law school, Ria worked in public relations in the Seattle, Washington, area, including as part of the crisis management team for Microsoft’s Windows business group. Prior to joining Preti Flaherty, Ria practiced law for five years at notable firms in Boston, Connecticut, and Washington, DC.
Ria lives in Gardiner, Maine with her husband.
- Maine State Bar Association
- Massachusetts State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- “Sexton Opinion Further Restricts What Conduct Can Be Regulated Under ‘Practice’ Before the IRS,” ABA Tax Times, Vol. 36, No. 3, Spring 2017
- “Subpart F Income Tax: Its Scope and Application to US Shareholders” - ABA Tax Section, (Moderator, January 19, 2017)
- “Ethical Issues in Federal Tax Practice: The Government Perspective” - ABA Tax Section, (Moderator, September 15, 2017)