- Defended medical device company in four-week hazardous waste trial in federal court involving clean-up of mercury in river sediment.
- Defended $250 million clean-up order at nine-day hearing before Maine Board of Environmental Protection.
- Defended largest Maine petroleum enforcement action in over 20 years.
- Defended largest U.S. EPA pesticide enforcement action in Region I.
- Resolved property damage claims for residential and commercial landowners located on former municipal landfill.
- Resolved state and federal natural resource damage claims at three former marine oil terminals.
- Resolved property damage lawsuit by lakefront property owners arising from No. 6 fuel oil spill.
- Defended environmental consultants in $1 million federal court jury trial against manufacturing company claim of faulty environmental site assessment.
- Defended environmental engineers in three-week New Hampshire arbitration in $15 million alleged negligent water treatment system design at superfund site.
- Defended paper company in multi-plaintiff toxic tort lawsuit involving alleged brain cancer cluster.
- Successful U.S. EPA sole source aquifer petition under the Clean Water Act, Conanicut Island, Rhode Island.
- Successful license transfer for 99MW wind power project in New Hampshire.
- Successful contested air emission license amendment for paper mill.
Financial and General Litigation
- Won $13.6 million civil jury trial for breach of contract to negotiate in good faith on behalf of electric utility.
- Won $40 million securities arbitration in Washington, D.C. on behalf of publicly traded company in connection with stock purchase of Maryland manufacturer.
- Won $419,000 securities arbitration in Boston.
- Won appeal of award of $50 million contract for wireless emergency communication service.
- Won appeal of award of $35 million contract for state-wide lottery services.
- Represent beneficiaries, executors, personal representatives in securities and probate litigation and arbitration related to mishandling of assets, securities fraud, fiduciary mismanagement, and related matters.
- Represent owners and contractors in construction claims.
- Won news media First Amendment challenge to secret jury selection in high profile criminal case.
- Won federal summary judgment in favor of eight news media organizations against claims of libel, invasion of privacy, and civil rights violations arising from reporting on alleged unlawful firearms confiscation.
- Won trials and appeals permitting access to state and federal public records for news media.
- Pre-publication review of news articles, features, and broadcasts for news media.
- Won dismissal of defamation claims against New York Times reporter.
- Won lawsuit attempting to compel disclosure of identity of author of anonymous news letter.
- Won dismissal of federal copyright claims against prominent magazine.