Preti Flaherty's Municipal Law attorneys have extensive experience representing cities and towns across New England on general and complex municipal law. Our municipal attorneys serve as general counsel to numerous New England municipalities, providing the full range of municipal services, including municipal governance, planning, zoning, land use, taxation, litigation, contract review, drafting ordinances, serving as bond counsel and counsel on labor/employment law issues.
The Municipal Law Group works closely with the firm's Land Use and Permitting, Real Estate, Environmental, Legislative, Construction, Litigation, Employment and Public Finance Groups to provide strategic advice on complex legal issues affecting municipal leadership.
Municipal Planning Issues
- Planning, zoning and land use – review and draft land use, environmental, mineral extraction and solid waste ordinances and regulations; represent and defend decisions of land use boards, draft comprehensive plans, zoning ordinances and shore land zoning ordinances; litigate zoning enforcement matters.
- Taxation of real estate – prepare and review of tax abatement applications, handle appeals of abatement denials before municipal, county and state assessment review boards.
- Tax Increment Financing (TIF) – work with municipalities and developers to secure TIFs and other creative incentives for major development projects.
- Construction – represent entities in publicly financed construction projects, eminent domain, code and ordinance enforcement.
- Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Maine municipal bonds
- Municipal charters
Employment Law Issues
- Draft and interpret Personnel Regulations, advise on employee discipline and termination, defense of employee claims at the Maine and New Hampshire Human Rights Commission and the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination.
- Labor relations and arbitrations
Municipal Governance & Legislative Issues
- Town meeting issues – advise on appropriations, municipal bond authorizations and budgetary matters, moderate town meetings
- Government relations and advocacy before the legislature
- Regulatory issues – represent municipal utility departments before regulatory agencies such as the Maine Public Utilities Commission (PUC)
- Educational planning and finance for municipal and regional school units
Litigation & General Legal Issues
- Freedom of Access Act (FOAA), right-to-know law issues
- Contracts – drafting and analysis
- Constitutional opinions and litigation
- Tort Claims Act cases
- Consulting and appearing on behalf of municipalities during Board of Selectmen and City Council meetings.
We currently serve as counsel to the City of Augusta, Maine and the Towns of Brunswick, Windham, Chelsea, Jay, Rangeley, Vienna, Dixfield, Readfield, West Gardiner, Fayette, Searsport, Unity, Cushing, South Thomaston, Woolwich, and Arrowsic, Maine, providing legal support on all aspects of municipal governance. We also represent several municipalities in New Hampshire including Ashland, Barnstead, Tilton, Wilmot and Wolfeboro. We also serve as municipal bond counsel to other cities and towns.