Mike practices with Preti Flaherty's Real Estate Group. He has represented clients in all aspects of real estate and land use law, including acquisitions, dispositions, obtaining federal, state and local regulatory approvals; commercial and public financing; title and conveyancing matters. Mike has built a strong timberlands practice representing mills, land management companies and industrial land owners in complex timberlands transactions, including acquisitions, sales, operating agreements, wood supply agreements, underwriting timberland titles, Land Use Planning Commission (LUPC) development compliance and permitting. He routinely appears before municipal planning boards, LUPC and the Department of Environmental Protection to permit residential, commercial and industrial projects.
Mike also serves as Vice President and General Counsel to Charter Title Company, LLC, Preti Flaherty's wholly-owned subsidiary, a respected agent for a number of nationally recognized title insurance companies. He has substantial experience in underwriting and negotiating title insurance coverages involving multisite, multimillion dollar commercial transactions, particularly energy, industrial and timberland properties, covering Maine, Massachusetts and New Hampshire.
- Business Law
- Forest Products Law
- Land Use & Permitting
- Municipal Law
- Real Estate
- Offshore & Onshore Wind Power
- University of Maine School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2001)
- University of Maine (B.A., summa cum laude, 1996)
- New Hampshire
- U.S. District Court, District of Maine
- Maine Bar Association, Title Standards Committee member
- New Hampshire Bar Association
Maine Technology Institute
- Member, Advanced Technologies for Forestry and Agriculture Board
- MEREDA, Public Policy Committee member
Honors & Awards
- Mike is recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, the highly regarded legal directory which ranks firms and individual attorneys in the areas of Real Estate and Timberland/Conservation.
- He also has been selected by his peers for inclusion in the 2011 edition of New England Super Lawyers, an honor limited to the top 5% of lawyers in each state, in the areas of real estate, energy and natural resources and land use and zoning.
- Mike was a member of LURC's Comprehensive Land Use Plan Working Group.
- Chairman, Town of Richmond Planning Board
- Past President, Maine Forest and Logging Museum
- Member, Society of American Foresters
- Member, Forest Resources Association
- Member, New England Land Title Association
- Member, Maine Forest Products Council