Laura A. Rideout practices from Preti Flaherty's Portland office, where she focuses on environmental law. Her experience includes assisting clients with management and decision making related to contaminated sediment sites and remedial action. She serves as lead associate on complex environmental matters, including a RCRA citizen suit involving contamination in the largest estuary in New England as well as toxic tort litigation involving exposure to contaminants. Laura has comprehensive knowledge of state and federal environmental statutes, regulations, and guidance documents, and extensive experience working with experts and consultants in the fields of fate and transport, risk assessment, and remediation engineering. She also assists clients with land use and permitting matters, including environmental permit transfers and due diligence.
In addition to her environmental focus, Laura has a breadth of experience with other litigation matters. She is experienced in taking and defending depositions, working with experts, assisting with case strategy and development, interfacing with clients, and preparing cases for trial.
Laura obtained her undergraduate degree, with honors, at the University of California, Davis. She earned her law degree, cum laude, from the University of Maine School of Law and has practiced at Preti Flaherty since graduation. While in law school, Laura worked at the United States Attorney's Office in the Appellate Division, served as Executive Editor of the Ocean and Coastal Law Journal, and competed in the Duberstein Moot Court Competition.
Laura resides in the Portland area with her husband, baby son, and black lab.
- University of Maine School of Law (J.D., with honors)
- Ocean and Coastal Law Journal, Executive Editor
- University of California Davis (B.A., with honors)
- U.S. District Court, District of Maine
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- Maine State Bar Association
- Environmental and Energy Section Vice Chair
- American Bar Association
- Human Resources Association of Southern Maine
- Environmental & Energy Technology Council of Maine (E2Tech)
- Maine Real Estate Development Association
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyers Rising Star in Environmental Law (2016-2018)
- Portland Museum of Art Contemporaries, Member