Jeff is a nationally recognized litigator and environmental lawyer. Over the past two decades, he has worked as lead counsel on numerous commercial litigation matters across the country, including cases involving antitrust, securities, intellectual property, anti-terrorism, and environmental law.
Jeff’s environmental practice includes matters involving CERCLA/Superfund, RCRA (including contaminated sediment sites and natural resource damages), the Clean Water Act, the Clean Air Act, the Natural Resources Protection Act, and the Endangered Species Act.
Before joining Preti Flaherty, Jeff worked at one of the largest law firms in the world and was a trial lawyer at the U.S. Department of Justice.
The roster of clients Jeff has represented include Covidien, Mallinckrodt U.S. LLC, Brookfield, Chevron and ConAga. Clients have described Jeff as “exceptional,” “very strategic,” an “excellent advocate,” and having a “complete and in-depth understanding of all the issues.”
He is a recipient of the EPA's Gold Medal for exceptional service and several U.S. DOJ special achievement awards, and is recognized as a leading lawyer by Best Lawyers in America, Chambers U.S.A., New England Super Lawyers, Benchmark Litigation, the American Registry, and the Litigation Council of America.
- Lead Counsel in defense of RCRA citizen suit for injunctive relief associated with contamination of sediments in the Penobscot River, one of New England's largest river systems and estuary. Month-long trial in Federal District Court involved testimony from 22 expert witnesses in various technical aspects of contaminated sediment issues including: fate and transport, stable isotope analysis, geochemistry of marsh areas. Case is currently pending decision. Natural Resources Defense Counsel and Maine People's Alliance v. HoltraChem Manufacturing Company, L.L.C. (CA No. 00-69-BW) (D. Me).
- Lead Counsel in defense of state enforcement action seeking $250 million remedy to address mercury contaminated soils, sediments, and groundwater at RCRA and Maine Uncontrolled Hazardous Substances Site. Two week state administrative hearing led to modified order saving client $150 million. Mallinckrodt US LLC and United States Surgical Corp. v. Maine Department of Environmental Protection, (CA No. AP-2010-19) (Me Sup. Ct.).
- Lead counsel in defense of Patent Infringement case brought by manufacturer of Volt Amperes Reactive product. Varentec, Inc. v. Gridco Inc. (CA No. 16-217-RGA) (D. Del).
- Lead counsel in anti-terrorism case against large producer of bananas brought by citizens kidnapped and killed by terrorists in Colombia. Julin, et al. v. Chiquita Brands International, Inc. (CA No. 08-20641-CIV-MARRA) (S.D.F.L.).
U.S. Department of Justice Experience
As a trial attorney in the Environmental Enforcement Section of the U.S. Department of Justice, Environment & Natural Resources Division in Washington, D.C., Jeff led trial teams in federal courts across the country in a wide range of environmental cases. Cases and awards included:
- One of the largest Clean Water Act cases ever brought by the EPA and DOJ
- One of the first Clean Air Act cases under the New Source Performance Standards
- Several significant natural resource damage cases
- Numerous CERCLA and RCRA cost recovery cases
Prior to the DOJ, Jeff worked at White & Case LLP in Washington, D.C., where he worked on complex commercial litigation and arbitration matters involving antitrust, securities, intellectual property and international law.
- Cleantech & Renewable Energy
- Climate Strategy
- Environmental Litigation
- Natural Resource Damages
- CERCLA Allocation
- Kalamazoo College (B.A., cum laude, 1997)
- University of Michigan Law School (J.D., 2000)
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit
- American Bar Association
- Member, Natural Resource & Environmental Section
- Member, Litigation Section
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Maine State Bar Association
- Member, Environment, Energy & Natural Resource Section
- District of Columbia Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's Gold Medal for Exceptional Service, 2010
- U.S. Department of Justice
- Special Achievement Awards
- Special Recognition Awards
- Nominated by the Environmental Enforcement Section for the Attorney General Award
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America
- 2019 Lawyer of the Year, Litigation - Environmental (Portland, ME)
- Recognized by the American Registry
- Recognized by New England Super Lawyers
- Recognized by Chambers, USA
- Recognized by Benchmark Litigation
- E2Tech, Marketing & Enrollment Committee
- Falmouth Youth Soccer Association Board Member
- Soccer Maine "D" License Soccer Coach
- SeaCoast United Assistant Coach