Preti Flaherty’s hospitality team counsels clients in all areas of hospitality and tourism-related business. The hospitality industry operates in a dynamic and highly competitive environment and is populated by a wide range of businesses including hotels and resorts, restaurants and commercial food service, meeting and event planning, tourism destinations, attractions, airlines, cruises and other transportation, and spa and wellness management. Hospitality law, as a result, encompasses a broad spectrum of laws, such as contracts, antitrust, torts, employment, real estate, construction, as well as ever-changing state and federal laws and regulations.
What We Do
Our hospitality team offers clients in the hospitality industry access to a full range of legal services, including:
- Business formation
- Resort liability
- Litigation and alternative dispute resolution (ADR)
- Startup funding and organizational matters
- Family ownership planning and transfers
- Commercial lending and banking transactions
- Tax planning and negotiations
- Commercial contracts and leases
- Land development agreements
- Environmental and land use issues
- Operational issues, marketing, and corporate sponsorships
- Labor agreements and development of employee manuals
- Hiring and termination policies
- Benefits, Affordable Care Act compliance and workers' compensation
- ADA compliance
- Representation before the Occupational and Safety Health Administration (OSHA)
- Immigration, including renewing or transferring company visas, such as H-1B visas
- Taxation issues related to foreign-born employees
- I-9 employment eligibility verification, recordkeeping, and compliance
- Food and beverage supply agreements
- Food safety guidelines
- Alcoholic beverage compliance and regulatory issues
- Gaming law
- Franchising, brand licensing transactions and Intellectual Property issues
From the smallest local single-owner startup to the largest multistate resort, our clients represent the strength, diversity, and evolution of the hospitality industry. Our attorneys have represented Maine’s thriving ski resort industry for more than thirty years and have worked in partnership with another client to develop and expand Oxford Casino, a thriving hospitality business and tourist attraction in Oxford, Maine.
Working across disciplines and in coordination with other practice groups, our team has experience supporting hospitality clients in all aspects of the development, financing, operation, acquisition, disposition, franchising, protection of assets, and other legal services needed by any business. Our franchise law practice is the largest in northern New England, with clients ranging from large national franchises to emerging franchises in a variety of industries. Our Emerging Businesses group has worked on behalf of hundreds of entrepreneurs to launch their businesses. Our Hospitality team is structured to tap into the full breadth of Preti Flaherty’s resources, including these groups as well as our Business, Employment, Environmental, Intellectual Property, Litigation, Real Estate, Transportation and Workers’ Compensation practice groups.
Our attorneys understand the economic impact of the hospitality and tourism industry on our region, the complexity of the laws surrounding the industry, and the importance of navigating these laws with a strategic partner dedicated to your business interests.