Preti Flaherty media law attorneys have the proven knowledge and experience to advise on state and federal freedom of information compliance and disputes. We have served as counsel in many precedent setting public access cases in Maine, including access to transcripts of 911 calls, the right to attend jury selection in criminal cases in Maine state court, access to “draft” agreements with the State, access to dash cam police cruiser video, and access to records of closed law enforcement investigations.
We have appeared in numerous freedom of information appeals decided by the Maine Supreme Judicial Court:
- Pinkham v. Department of Transp., 2016 ME 74, 139 A. 3d 904
- Preti Flaherty Beliveau & Pachios, LLP v. State Tax Assessor, 2014 ME 6, 86 A.3d 30
- MaineToday Media, Inc. v. State of Maine, 2013 ME 100, 41 Media L. Rep. 2673
- State of Maine v. Strong (In re. MaineToday Media, Inc.), 2013 ME 12, 59 A.3d 499, 41 Media L.Rep. 1237
- MacImage of Me., LLC v. Androscoggin Cty., 2012 ME 44, 40 A.3d 975
- Anastos v. Town of Brunswick, 2011 ME 41, 15 A.3d 1279
- Moore v. Abbott, 2008 ME 100, 952 A.2d 980
- Blethen Maine Newspapers v. Portland School Cmte, 2008 ME 69, 947 A.2d 479, 36 Media.L.Rep. 1652
- Citizens Communications Co. v. Attorney General, 2007 ME 114, 931 A.2d 503
- Blethen Maine Newspapers, Inc. v. State of Maine, 2005 ME 56, 871 A.2d 523, 33 Media L.Rep 1616
- Doe v. Department of Mental Health, 1997 ME 105, 699 A. 2d 422
- Guy Gannett Pub v. University of Maine, 555 A. 2d 470 (1989)
- Guy Gannett Pub v. Dept. of Public Safety, 555 A. 2d 474 (1989)
- Moffett v. City of Portland, 400 A. 2d 340 (1979)
We also have advised on access to federal records and information and have litigated federal freedom of information claims.
Our articles on access to government records have been published in the Maine Bar Journal and the Open Government Guide published by the Reporters Committee for the Freedom of the Press. We are frequently invited to present on the subject of access to public information, including, “Access to Public Records in the Electronic Age," and "What You Need to Know About Public Records and Open Meetings in Maine."
However you are engaging with public information, our team will provide effective and timely counsel.