Preti Flaherty is a go-to firm in financial services disputes, securities litigation, and arbitration. We represent investors, financial advisors, broker-dealers, registered investment advisors, banks, and other financial institutions on regulatory matters, litigation, arbitration, and compliance counseling.
Our experience includes the full gamut of claims and a broad range of investments. We have handled claims of unsuitable investment recommendations, breach of fiduciary duty, churning, unauthorized trading, failure to supervise, elder abuse, negligence, and securities fraud. We have experience with all sorts of investments including stocks, options, mutual funds, bonds, complex structured products, annuities, life insurance, REITs, private placements, variable life insurance, and variable annuities.
We have also assisted financial institutions with regulatory investigations and enforcement actions involving state regulators in Maine and New Hampshire.
Our track record in securities disputes speaks for itself:
- Jury award of $7.5 million against national bank for failure to provide financial and investment advice to client, Fleet National Bank v. Mayeux, Docket No. CV-03-247
- Settlement involving financial advisor’s abuse of power of attorney from a cognitively impaired senior investor
- Award at arbitration for financial advisor’s unsuitable recommendation to mortgage the investor’s home to buy speculative stocks, Gregoire v. Morgan Stanley DW, Inc., NASD-DR No. 04-06425
- Restitution from an insurance company for unsuitable sale of deferred equity indexed annuity to an elderly widow with few assets
- Award at arbitration for unauthorized trading and weak data security procedures when investor’s family member gained online access to investor’s retirement account, Landry vs. Fidelity Brokerage Services LLC Co., FINRA Case ID 13-00523
- Settlement involving insurance agent having induced an elderly man with dementia, to surrender high yield annuities to buy whole life insurance causing capital gains tax liability and income loss
- Settlement involving brokerage firm responsible for recommending penny stocks and other speculative investments to senior investor
- Award at arbitration in eight figure securities fraud claim against seller of substantial manufacturing company, Kingspan Holdings US, Inc. v. Daniel R. Baker et al., American Arbitration Association, Case No. 50 T 168 00487 1