- Real Estate Development Work - Eric's contributions to major real estate development projects have included regulatory, contract and procurement work for the development of a major newspaper printing and production plant, the construction of a large psychiatric hospital and expansions for various Maine hospitals. He was lead counsel in the design and implementation of the cross-border ownership structure for a power generating facility.
- Financial Workouts and Restructuring - In financial workouts, he has handled the negotiation and documentation of waste handling agreements for several Maine municipalities as part of the financial restructuring of one of Maine's largest waste-to-energy plants. He also led the firm's groundbreaking work on the restructuring of a housing cooperative association.
- Lead Counsel on Business Acquisitions - He has been lead counsel in a number of business acquisitions including purchases of television stations in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Springfield and Champaign, Illinois, and Tallahassee, Florida, in addition to several newspapers in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area. He has also handled acquisitions of other telecommunications, call center, computer software, hydroelectric and insurance businesses both in and out of Maine.
- Negotiation of Real Estate Purchases and Leasings - Rick also handles negotiation and documentation of purchases, financings and leasing of real estate, including broadcast tower, shopping center, office building and other commercial leasing.
- Collaborating with Teams to Help Clients Succeed - As lead attorney on many major transactions, Rick has coordinated participation by other practice groups in the firm, particularly on matters related to the environment, employment and bankruptcy. He has a long record of success in collaborations with other professionals (including lawyers outside of the firm) to the maximum advantage of the firm's clients.