Brian is a Director in Preti Flaherty's Litigation Group and focuses his practice on civil litigation, criminal defense, and regulatory matters for individuals and corporations. He co-chairs the firm's White-collar Defense Practice Group and is a member of the Securities Practice Group. His experience includes numerous high-profile trials and investigations, including several first-degree murder trials, defense of multi-national corporations in securities and health care fraud investigations, and other serious criminal and civil matters.
As part of Brian's criminal defense practice, he serves on the Federal Criminal Justice Act Panel in the United States District Court for New Hampshire. He is also an active member of the New Hampshire Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.
Prior to joining the firm, Brian served as a Senior Assistant Attorney General in the Homicide Unit and Criminal Justice Bureau of the New Hampshire Department of Justice where he led homicide prosecutions. While there, Brian also prosecuted white-collar crimes and public integrity matters, and represented the State of New Hampshire in civil matters in state and federal court. Before working for the New Hampshire Attorney General, Brian served as a judicial law clerk for the New Hampshire Superior Court for two years.
Brian has successfully briefed and argued numerous cases before the New Hampshire Supreme Court, and has taught Advanced Appellate Advocacy as an Adjunct Professor at the University of New Hampshire Law School, formerly known as Franklin Pierce Law Center.
Brian has served as Vice Chairman of the New Hampshire Legislative Ethics Committee, having been jointly appointed to the Committee by the New Hampshire Speaker of the House of Representatives, the House Minority Leader, the President of the New Hampshire Senate, and the Senate Minority Leader.
In 2014, Brian was appointed by the U.S. District Court for New Hampshire to serve as a member of the Criminal Justice Act Panel Selection Committee. The committee is responsible for reviewing applications from attorneys to serve on the Criminal Justice Act Panel.
In 2015, Brian was recognized as the Top Criminal Defense Attorney in the state of New Hampshire by Business NH Magazine. He is also listed as a New England Super Lawyer for his work in White Collar Criminal Defense with additional areas in Securities Litigation and General Litigation.
- Financial Industry Litigation & Arbitration
- White Collar Defense & Government Investigations
- New England School of Law (J.D., 1996)
- University of New Hampshire (B.S., 1989)
- New Hampshire
- U.S. District Court, District of New Hampshire
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- New Hampshire Bar Association
- Federal Criminal Justice Act Panel in the United States District Court for New Hampshire
- New Hampshire Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- American Health Lawyers Association
- New Hampshire Catholic Lawyers Guild, Co-founder
Honors & Awards
- Named Top Criminal Defense Attorney in New Hampshire by Business NH Magazine
- Listed as a New England Super Lawyer
- New Hampshire Attorney General's Task Force on Child Abuse and Neglect, current member. The Task Force was created in 1989 to improve the system-wide response to child mistreatment in New Hampshire. It is comprised of professionals throughout the state representing the medical, mental health, judicial, prosecution, defense, law enforcement, victim advocacy, forensic science and child protection communities.
- Crisis Center of Central New Hampshire, current board member