Jonathan S. Piper
General Counsel to the Firm
|Practice Focus: ||Litigation, Arbitration, Media Law|
Portland, ME |
|vCard:||Download Jonathan's vCard|
Having served for many years as the firm's Managing Partner and as Chair of its Litigation Group, Jon is now the firm's General Counsel and focuses his practice on litigation and arbitration. He is well known and respected in the New England legal community, is listed in Woodward-White's The Best Lawyers in America for his work in Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation and First Amendment Law, as well as in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business for Litigation: General Commercial. He is also AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell and is recognized in New England Super Lawyers.
Previous Legal Experience
Invited to serve as the first law clerk to the Honorable Edward S. Godfrey of the Maine Supreme Judicial Court.
- American Bar Association
- Maine Bar Association
- Cumberland County Bar Association
- Mercy Health System of Maine, Board of Directors
- Mercy Hospital, Board of Trustees
- Media Law Resource Center, Advisory Counsel Committee
- Portland Diocese Annual Stewardship Campaign
- "50-State Survey of Libel Law in the United States," (Libel Defense Resource Center), co-author, 1986-Present
- "How to Avoid Covering Your Own Trial," Maine State Bar Association Media/Law Guide, 1990
- Achieved record award in Maine of $40 million for Kingspan Group plc, a publicly traded Irish corporation, in claims for common law fraud and securities violations.
- Won a $7.4 million jury verdict against Fleet National Bank for financial planning malpractice.
- Received national media attention for successfully defending Forbes magazine in a $10 million libel action.
- Successfully defended Peoples Heritage Savings Bank in a major lender liability suit.
- Litigated on behalf of Bath Iron Works (a Division of General Dynamics) to secure multi-million dollar recovery in construction claims involving its new land level transfer dry dock facility.
- Negotiated multi-million dollar settlement award in an antitrust action brought on behalf of Compañía Chilena de Fósforos of Santiago, Chile, a major Chilean manufacturing company.
- Represented a significant PRP in Maine's largest Superfund litigation and served on the steering committee that negotiated a favorable remediation plan with the EPA.